We fully understand at Ashford and St. Peter’s Hospitals that taking the decision to have surgery, to help with weight loss, is a major decision.
In appreciation of this, we have designed this guide to inform you of the different types of surgery available.
To qualify for assessment for surgery you are required to have attended and completed a Specialist Weight Management Service. Below are the NICE guidelines with regard to suitability for bariatric surgery.
- BMI of 35kg/m2 or above, with co-morbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc.
- BMI of 40 kg/m2 or more with or without any co-morbidities.
- Have first attended and completed a specialist weight management course (Tier 3).
- You must be able and willing to see our specialists.
- You must be fit for surgery and anaesthesia.
- You understand the need for long term follow up and commitment, both before and for 2 years after surgery.
- You have tried and failed with conventional dieting, exercise, and medication to lose and maintain weight.