The Rapid Access Centre (RAC) at Ashford Hospital is a service providing a holistic geriatrician assessment, diagnostics and treatment plan, primarily for older people in the local community.
Providing a one-stop assessment with access to diagnostics model is a key priority for the NHS by improving patient flow, avoiding inappropriate admission to secondary care and integrating primary, community and social services.
The main function of the centre is to proactively diagnose and treat patients deemed to be at risk of requiring emergency admission to A&E.
The RAC will:
- Provide specialist assessment of older people within 72 hours of a possible deterioration of a medical problem, to prevent admission into acute hospital
- Prevent/reduce multiple visits to hospital by providing a one stop medical, diagnostic workup and multidisciplinary assessment
- Reduce bottlenecks by freeing up urgent slots in outpatients clinics
- Improve patient satisfaction by keeping older people services local
- Enable older people to maximise their independence and prevent premature entry into long-term care
Patients who meet the following criteria will be assessed in the RAC:
- Patients needing assessment and proactive treatment to prevent further decline or exacerbation
- Patients who have suffered recent, or repetitive falls
- TIAs or minor stroke
- Frail elderly with a decline in function
Patients who meet the following criteria will not be assessed in the RAC:
- Acute medical emergencies needing immediate interventions
- Medical conditions requiring MAU investigations and treatment
- Patients who have acute mental health needs
- Routine out-patient appointments
Diagnostic services including ECG, CT and ECG will be available.
Who Can Refer?
- GPs / A&E / MAU
- The Intermediate Care Team (ICT)
- Community Matrons
- Specialist Nurses
- District Nurses
- Care Home Support Team
How to Refer
Referrals should be made using the RAC single assessment process referral form. TIA referrals should be directed to the TIA service.
The form can be emailed with the patient’s consent to the RAC (See below for contact details).
You will be contacted by email to confirm referral acceptance
Rapid Access Centre
ASHFORD Middlesex TW15 3AA
Telephone 01784 884500
Is my patient suitable for the RAC?
Referrals can be made to:
Phone: 01784 884500